Are GENELEC monitors damaged when the red light flashes or is on for a long period?

The red LED fitted to most Genelec monitors gives an indication of the status of the protection/clipping circuit. The LED should only become red if the input stage is overloaded or if the amplifier overheats. The drivers are also protected by this circuit.

In normal use if the red light turns on, it is sufficient to reduce the signal level until the red light disappears. No damage occurs in this situation. The protection circuitry protects the monitor very well from accidental overloading. However, prolonged misuse can damage the monitor.