What is GENELEC's goal when designing an active monitor?
Our design philosophy aims to cope with the following requirements:
- Studio monitor speakers must tell the truth
- It must not add anything not already present in the signal, neither should it remove anything from it
- It should be adaptable to different locations, must be reliable and be able to handle the heavy use required in professional audio
As with any other engineering solution in the physical real world there are design tradeoffs and the challenge in the design of a professional monitor balances the following parameters:
- Cabinet size
- Low frequency cut-off, f-3dB
- Maximum sound pressure level output
Note that sound quality is not a matter open for discussion - it must not be compromised.