The last decade has experienced a rapid increase in global media content creation, resulting in significant changes in the way network facilities deal with increased workload. Now, more than ever, a growing number of audio productions are done in tighter, more confined working environments. This increases acoustic problems and lowers the reliability of monitoring. At the same time, a professional audio engineer needs high confidence in the monitoring system which should be acoustically adjusted to its environment.
Genelec, the world’s pioneer in active monitoring technology for over 37 years now provides the industry’s first, highly intelligent monitoring solution with its full-range product line – the Smart Active Monitoring (SAM™) Systems. From the smallest 8320A to the flagship 1236A, including a full range of highly versatile subwoofers, Genelec SAM Systems offer the most advanced solutions for recording studios, radio and TV broadcasting, mobile production vehicles and post-production houses of any type and size.
SAM technology creates a computer controlled, flexible network of monitors and subwoofers which allows you to easily and quickly set up all types of monitoring system from traditional stereo to various 3D immersive audio applications, or even experimental and research sound systems, with the entirely new and highly intuitive Genelec Loudspeaker Manager (GLM™) 2.0 software.
With Genelec proprietary AutoCal™ and the powerful DSP capability included in every SAM System, GLM can automatically measure, analyze and adjust every monitor and subwoofer on the network, and make the monitoring environment a fully aligned and integrated system with regards to level, timing and room response equalization adapting to different room acoustics. SAM Systems are today´s most sophisticated tool for accurate and reliable monitoring and an indispensable solution for any production facility.
Features and Benefits
Unprecedented powerful monitoring system
- Complete solution-oriented Smart Active Monitoring systems eliminate guesswork in system configuration and acoustic performance
- Management of up to 30 SAM™ studio monitors and subwoofers covering all types of monitoring systems from traditional stereo to various 3D immersive audio applications, or even experimental and research sound systems.
- Handling both digital and analogue input signals (8330 and above)
- Volume control functions via GLM software master fader or via external wired or wireless volume controllers (optional) covering all possible applications.
- Flexible control of Solo, Mute, Bypass Bass Management and delay compensation for video system.
Intelligent and accurate calibration
- Controlled via Genelec proprietary Loudspeaker Manager (GLM™) network and software, AutoCal provides the industry’s first integrated process for complete automated measurement, analysis and adjustment of every monitor on the network, achieving accurate sound reproduction with few clicks only.
- GLM AutoCal automatically optimizes and aligns each monitor and subwoofer for relative levels, time of flight, subwoofer crossover phase as well as individual room response compensations, while full manual control of all acoustic settings remains available to meet specific adjustment needs.
- SAM technology integrates the monitoring system into the listening environment by automatically compensating for detrimental room influences, especially when dealing with the challenging reality of room acoustics.
- SAM technology achieves results quickly and easily to implement neutral and consistent monitoring environment even in unfamiliar or improvised working environment, saving time and cost for your work.
- GLM allows to switch and compare the calibration results with just one click.
Multiple flexible functions
- SinglePoint™ and MultiPoint™ microphone positions provide measurements for one, two or three person mixing environments, optimizing the listening conditions over an area.
- Symmetrical or individualized stereo pair equalization compensation to be used depending on the acoustic environment.
- Ability to store Group calibration settings for different listening positions (ex: recording/mixing engineer, musician and producer positions), to be re-called instantly.
- On-screen, real-time SPL reading of the active monitor Group allows to monitor carefully the production sound pressure level.
- SAM Systems can be used in Stand-alone mode without any computer. All monitoring system calibration parameters can be stored in each individual monitor and subwoofer if the GLM network needs to be disconnected.
GLM 2.0 User Kit
The GLM 2.0 is a powerful loudspeaker management system for all Genelec Smart Active Monitor (SAM™) systems. Available for Mac and Windows operating systems, GLM 2.0 provides control to every aspect of any Genelec SAM product that is connected on the Genelec network.
AutoCal™ provides the industry’s first integrated process for complete automated measurement, analysis and adjustment of every monitor on the network, which can automatically optimize and align each monitor and subwoofer for relative levels, time of flight, subwoofer crossover phase as well as individual room response compensations.
GLM 2.0 simple, intuitive, but yet feature-rich user interface allows fast setting up and calibration procedures. GLM 2.0 allows your monitoring system to adapt to different room acoustics, providing neutral, accurate, reliable sound reproduction, reducing perceived differences between listening environments or positions, and allowing a monitor to be turned into the reference it needs to be for the challenging and complex tasks encountered by engineers today.
The GLM 2.0 User Kit includes the Genelec Loudspeaker Manager software, a factory-calibrated measurement microphone and a network adapter unit.